Website Southern Tier Brewing Company
Position: Brewer/Cellar Assistant
Job Type: FT, Regular, Hourly
Location: Lakewood, NY (Western NYS) Reports To: Brewer
Southern Tier Brewing Company, in operation since late 2002, is committed to brewing world-class beer. Our brand mission is centered on quality, flavor and innovation. The brewery has a state-of-the-art brewhouse, fermentation cellar and fully automated Krones CIP and yeast handling systems and has a capacity to brew over 230k barrels. With sales distribution already in almost 40 states, our mission is to be the largest craft brand in all of our core markets.
We are looking for employees who share our appreciation for quality beer and want to be part of a premier team.
Job Description Summary:
The Brewer/Cellar Assistant will perform entry level cellaring duties to help Brewer/Cellar Operators complete their tasks. The Brewer/Cellar Assistant role at Southern Tier Brewing Company is an on the job training program to become a full time Brewer and Cellar Operator in our production facility.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work smart & safely, including the proper use of required PPE
- General cleaning of stainless steel tanks surfaces and exteriors
- Using CIP system (Clean-In-Place), clean tank or line interiors (may be automated or manual process)
- Sanitary assembly of process parts (soft lines, pumps, tri-clamp fittings, etc.)
- Tank dumping, venting and disassembly
- Tank re-assembly
- Preparing and using various cleaning solutions
- Preparing and loading the dry hop cannon
- Weigh various ingredients and/or materials using a digital scale
- Stock supplies for the centrifuge
- Monitor production operations (fermentation & conditioning of the beer) on the computerized system; report any anomalies
- Assist with centrifugation and beer transfers
- Report mechanical problems
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities – The Cellar Assistant must possess:
- A fundamental knowledge of the brewing process
- The ability to read, understand and follow verbal directions
- The ability to read, understand and follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s)
- Basic algebra skills; the ability to understand and perform metric conversions (gallons / ml.)
- The ability to use small hand tools, including a small propane blow torch
- Ability to climb ladders and work in confined spaces
- Be able to work flexible hours
- A strong work ethic and the ability to multi-task
- Solid problem solving skills
- The ability to work well independently, as well as part of a team
- Good communication skills both verbal and written.
- Flexibility to do whatever it takes to get the job done right
- Microsoft Office Skills
- Be able to obtain our Fork Lift Certification
Minimum Education &/or Experience required:
- A High School Diploma or GED
- Prior experience working in a Commercial Production Brewery or High Volume Brew Pub
- A formal brewing education is considered a plus
Physical Demands – The Cellar Assistant must be able to:
- Frequently stand for the duration of the shift, walk, bend over, twist, kneel, climb, stoop and crouch.
- This position requires the ability to routinely and repeatedly lift up to 55 pounds and maneuver 170 pounds repeatedly.
- Use their hands to perform fine manipulation, handle or feel, and must be able to reach with hands and arms.
- Identify product deficiencies (color, smell, taste).
- This requires having close, distance, color and peripheral vision as well as depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- This position requires proper handling of hazardous materials and operation of complex moving machinery.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to a damp, wet environment with hot liquids, airborne particles, chemicals, and moving machinery. The noise level in the work environment can be very loud.
This Job Description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties
Southern Tier Brewing Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer